- By Skin Goop
- 20 Dec, 2020
- Water Buffalo (local 😃) fat is diverted from the land fill where it would contribute to methane production. The fat is converted in-house (in the garage, actually) to a wonderful, clean tallow which is used in many of Skin Goop’s products. AND the birdies LOVE to eat it in the winter!
- Preservatives ARE used in products that need them because otherwise they’d become contaminated = WASTED ingredients. AND, the user might become ill from the microbes in the unpreserved product by naturally occurring bacteria, mould or fungi. It is also ILLEGAL to sell a product which requires preservation, without it.
- Do-nothing marketing ingredients are NOT used. These add cost to the product without doing anything to improve it and we think that’s wrong.
- No ingredients are used from over-harvested or rare sources. One example is Sandalwood. Though Sandalwood can be obtained from plantations versus ‘wild harvested’ or ‘wild crafted’, those plantations are created by first DESTROYING native habitat 😥.
- No natural colourants are used in our products. Such materials require mining or land conversion to produce a specific crop, just for the sake of colour.
- No synthetic colourants are used in our products. This adds nothing to the products, increases the price, and gets washed down the drain without having done anything of value.
- Second hand mostly. Why create a demand for more resource extraction etc. when something can be re-used?
- Our soap and bar molds are home-made from scraps from construction sites or bought at garage sales. We LOVE garage sales, they are truly a GREAT way to give used materials another chance to shine!
- Our plungers for our soap and bar molds were made from scrap lumber found on-site or from people in the neighbourhood.
- We re-use LOTS of paper. Why, our soaps are wrapped in packing paper from when the mother-in-law moved away. What a GREAT day THAT was!🥂
- Shampoo bars, conditioner bars and shamPOOCH bars means no bottles of any type are needed!
These bars are 1st wrapped in strips of washed, re-purposed dry goods packaging instead of commercial material or fancy wrapping. Then, they are wrapped in once-used paper and coloured with pencil crayons. What fun!
- We often reuse empty boxes or bags for pick-ups or deliveries instead of new bags or boxes. This decreases demand for their production and helps to keep our prices low.
- Lotions and creams are provided in glass containers. These get washed, sanitized and refilled when they’re returned.
- Kissy Lips lip balm is provided in biodegradable paperboard. Cut it up and add it to your compost bin or municipal yard waste.
- Citrus Scrubby Soap is provided in re-used (washed & sanitized) home-brew bottles.
- Solar panels were installed which decrease our reliance on hydro electricity.
- Deliveries are done via foot or bicycle the vast majority of times. On rare occasions, we make deliveries on ‘car day’ to customers a little farther away, saving them a car-car ride to pick up their goodies.
- Our deodorant refill blocks mean you can re-use your plastic stick deodorant container many, many, many times.
Our home-grown lavender is never sprayed with anything. When you inhale our fresh cut lavender, or enjoy the buds, you are ONLY inhaling the lavender fragrance, never any pesticides.
No insects or spiders are harmed during harvest because the stems are carefully shaken before being cut. Any hidden creatures can escape during the weeks the lavender dries outside.