- Water Buffalo (local 😃) fat is diverted from the land fill where it would contribute to methane production. The fat is converted in-house (in the garage, actually) to a wonderful, clean tallow which is used in many of Skin Goop’s products. AND the birdies LOVE to eat it in the winter!
- Preservatives ARE used in products that need them because otherwise they’d become contaminated = WASTED ingredients. AND, the user might become ill from the microbes in the unpreserved product by naturally occurring bacteria, mould or fungi. It is also ILLEGAL to sell a product which requires preservation, without it.
- Do-nothing marketing ingredients are NOT used. These add cost to the product without doing anything to improve it and we think that’s wrong.
- No ingredients are used from over-harvested or rare sources. One example is Sandalwood. Though Sandalwood can be obtained from plantations versus ‘wild harvested’ or ‘wild crafted’, those plantations are created by first DESTROYING native habitat 😥.
- No natural colourants are used in our products. Such materials require mining or land conversion to produce a specific crop, just for the sake of colour.
- No synthetic colourants are used in our products. This adds nothing to the products, increases the price, and gets washed down the drain without having done anything of value.
- Second hand mostly. Why create a demand for more resource extraction etc. when something can be re-used?
- Our soap and bar molds are home-made from scraps from construction sites or bought at garage sales. We LOVE garage sales, they are truly a GREAT way to give used materials another chance to shine!
- Our plungers for our soap and bar molds were made from scrap lumber found on-site or from people in the neighbourhood.
- We re-use LOTS of paper. Why, our soaps are wrapped in packing paper from when the mother-in-law moved away. What a GREAT day THAT was!🥂
- Shampoo bars, conditioner bars and shamPOOCH bars means no bottles of any type are needed!
These bars are 1st wrapped in strips of washed, re-purposed dry goods packaging instead of commercial material or fancy wrapping. Then, they are wrapped in once-used paper and coloured with pencil crayons. What fun!
- We often reuse empty boxes or bags for pick-ups or deliveries instead of new bags or boxes. This decreases demand for their production and helps to keep our prices low.
- Lotions and creams are provided in glass containers. These get washed, sanitized and refilled when they’re returned.
- Kissy Lips lip balm is provided in biodegradable paperboard. Cut it up and add it to your compost bin or municipal yard waste.
- Citrus Scrubby Soap is provided in re-used (washed & sanitized) home-brew bottles.
- Solar panels were installed which decrease our reliance on hydro electricity.
- Deliveries are done via foot or bicycle the vast majority of times. On rare occasions, we make deliveries on ‘car day’ to customers a little farther away, saving them a car-car ride to pick up their goodies.
- Our deodorant refill blocks mean you can re-use your plastic stick deodorant container many, many, many times.
- Our home-grown lavender is never sprayed with anything. When you inhale our fresh cut lavender, or enjoy the buds, you are ONLY inhaling the lavender fragrance, never any pesticides.
- No insects or spiders are harmed during harvest because the stems are carefully shaken before being cut. Any hidden creatures can escape during the weeks the lavender dries outside.